The deadline for public comment on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s Risk Assessment on the importation of American package bees has now passed. But that hasn’t stopped the considerable commentary from beekeepers who are weighing in on both sides, who alternately find the CFIA “status quo” decision either specious and based on faulty science, or […]
A Langstroth hive it is not. An indulgence by a group of over-active, over-achieving architecture students, well, that’s more likely. I’m talking about a new “Elevator B” tower of polished stainless steel that students from the University of Buffalo have built for a survivor hive in an industrial part of the city. Here’s a CBC […]
Canada has no plans right now to follow the European Commission’s decision to ban a class of pesticides it believes is responsible for the deaths of many honey bees. Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency said it already started a comprehensive review of three pesticides in the neonicotinoid class following last year’s accidental poisonings of […]
Amanda and I have been in Hawaii for a week, ostensibly on holidays. But anyone who knows us also knows we couldn’t come here and not want to talk to the breeders, honey producers and researchers who are at the forefront of some of North America’s biggest changes in beekeeping. To say that Hawaii is […]
The U.S. government has renewed its anti-dumping duties on honey originating from China. Meanwhile, the Canadian government appears satisfied that it is not being targeted by Chinese producers who want to tranship to Canada and relabel their product as “Canadian” in an effort to escape paying millions of dollars in tariffs. Last month the U.S. […]
About . . .
- Picking Blueberries With Sandhill Cranes: A Summer Event July 17, 2016
- Canada’s ban on honey bee imports is folly, says B.C.’s biggest beekeeper March 10, 2012
- Treating bees with oxalic acid; a late-winter mite-killing exercise February 1, 2015
- Battling honey bee chalkbrood an expensive, maddening affair June 9, 2015
- Four apiary sites in B.C.’s Fraser Valley found with small hive beetles September 10, 2015
- Alberta Small Hive Beetle find means trouble for B.C. beekeepers July 29, 2017
- New honey in our Swan Valley operations in Creston! July 20, 2017
- New adventures for Honey Bee Zen Apiaries and Swan Valley Honey July 16, 2017
- A Canadian honey goes to the North American Beekeeping Show January 24, 2017
- If you are a bee, how the New York Times sees you December 4, 2016
- Gary Thompson: Congratulations on another successful year in the ...
- Tom Hardern: Just found you today by accident... The name caugh...
- Jeff: They are open from early morning to dusk; they use...
- Hannah: This looks great. Do you happen to know their hour...
- Janet L. Wilson: I have polled my Washington state beekeeping conta...
Follow @honeybeezen on Twitter