There’s an interesting story in the Chilliwack Progress this week about the significant lack of pollination-strength hives available for blueberry growers in British Columbia. It features Honeyview Farms’ Peter Awram, the largest commercial beekeeper in B.C., who runs 4,000 hives. I’ve written in the recent past about the fact there aren’t enough hives available this […]
This week, as commercial beekeepers began putting hives into apricot orchards and are busily getting ready for the blueberry season, we picked up some new packages from New Zealand. There’s lots of debate over whether starting hives in Canada from packaged imports – whether from Australia, Chile or New Zealand. For Amanda and I, our […]
Most beekeepers in B.C. are just starting to take stock of their over-wintered colonies, checking for dead-outs, putting on pollen patties and mixing up heavy syrup for the feeders. But this is also the time when those beekeepers who are involved in pollinating B.C.’s important blueberry crop are also installing packaged bees that have just […]
About . . .
- Picking Blueberries With Sandhill Cranes: A Summer Event July 17, 2016
- Canada’s ban on honey bee imports is folly, says B.C.’s biggest beekeeper March 10, 2012
- Treating bees with oxalic acid; a late-winter mite-killing exercise February 1, 2015
- Battling honey bee chalkbrood an expensive, maddening affair June 9, 2015
- Four apiary sites in B.C.’s Fraser Valley found with small hive beetles September 10, 2015
- Alberta Small Hive Beetle find means trouble for B.C. beekeepers July 29, 2017
- New honey in our Swan Valley operations in Creston! July 20, 2017
- New adventures for Honey Bee Zen Apiaries and Swan Valley Honey July 16, 2017
- A Canadian honey goes to the North American Beekeeping Show January 24, 2017
- If you are a bee, how the New York Times sees you December 4, 2016
- Gary Thompson: Congratulations on another successful year in the ...
- Tom Hardern: Just found you today by accident... The name caugh...
- Jeff: They are open from early morning to dusk; they use...
- Hannah: This looks great. Do you happen to know their hour...
- Janet L. Wilson: I have polled my Washington state beekeeping conta...
Follow @honeybeezen on Twitter