We caught our first swarm last week in Vancouver, under circumstances that, like everything in beekeeping, delivered us a wealth of information. With the strong warm weather of May and June and the lack of rain, most hives in the Metro area grew like stink. The week of rain in late June not only shortened […]
What started out as a promising spring bloom appears to be taking a left turn, leaving Metro Vancouver beekeepers with a challenge if they want their bees to be ready for winter. This spring’s glorious warm weather proved a boon for Lower Mainlanders, allowing for lots of divides and the opportunity for strong hives. Blueberries […]
It’s heading on to mid-Feburary, and already there seems to be trouble brewing for beekeepers, not the least in California, where there is now a reported shortage of hives for the almond pollination season. In British Columbia, the situation is also a little confusing. Last week I filed a report to the B.C. Honey Producers […]
About . . .
- Picking Blueberries With Sandhill Cranes: A Summer Event July 17, 2016
- Canada’s ban on honey bee imports is folly, says B.C.’s biggest beekeeper March 10, 2012
- Treating bees with oxalic acid; a late-winter mite-killing exercise February 1, 2015
- Battling honey bee chalkbrood an expensive, maddening affair June 9, 2015
- Four apiary sites in B.C.’s Fraser Valley found with small hive beetles September 10, 2015
- Alberta Small Hive Beetle find means trouble for B.C. beekeepers July 29, 2017
- New honey in our Swan Valley operations in Creston! July 20, 2017
- New adventures for Honey Bee Zen Apiaries and Swan Valley Honey July 16, 2017
- A Canadian honey goes to the North American Beekeeping Show January 24, 2017
- If you are a bee, how the New York Times sees you December 4, 2016
- Gary Thompson: Congratulations on another successful year in the ...
- Tom Hardern: Just found you today by accident... The name caugh...
- Jeff: They are open from early morning to dusk; they use...
- Hannah: This looks great. Do you happen to know their hour...
- Janet L. Wilson: I have polled my Washington state beekeeping conta...
Follow @honeybeezen on Twitter