I’m glad I can’t be charged with regicide for killing the queen. The killing of royalty is, of course, a crime. Just like patricide, infanticide and good old homicide. But in this case, the untimely demise of my queen bee – either because it got squished between two frames or couldn’t handle the harshness of […]
Talk to people about keeping urban beehives and two things invariably come up as concerns. One is the belief that the bees will now flock to their picnic or patio barbecue. The other is a fear of swarms. The first one is a complete non-starter. The other is a periodic issue that is vastly overblown. […]
After Saturday’s publication in The Vancouver Sun of our new Honey Bee Zen blog, I received a note from Ian Tait, an old Olympics friend who is now involved in an effort to help bees make it in this tough world of ours. It’s called Feed The Bees. Tait pointed me to this cooperative effort by the Delta Chamber of Commerce and Earthwise […]
Most cities in North America at one time banned the keeping of bees on residential lots. In theory it made sense (but not good sense): people didn’t want insects flying around their heads, especially ones that could sting you. But in recent years, the pendulum has swung as urban stealth beekeepers who kept secret hives […]
Welcome to Honey Bee Zen, our experiment in urban beekeeping. It’s a blog by two people, Amanda Goodman Lee and Jeff Lee. We want to tackle this blog as a primer for people who are interested in keeping bees but don’t know where to start. We’re the examples. In other words, by learning from our […]
About . . .
- Picking Blueberries With Sandhill Cranes: A Summer Event July 17, 2016
- Canada’s ban on honey bee imports is folly, says B.C.’s biggest beekeeper March 10, 2012
- Treating bees with oxalic acid; a late-winter mite-killing exercise February 1, 2015
- Battling honey bee chalkbrood an expensive, maddening affair June 9, 2015
- Four apiary sites in B.C.’s Fraser Valley found with small hive beetles September 10, 2015
- Painting New Honey Supers For The Coming Season April 18, 2018
- World Supplier of Nosema Medication Fumagilin-B Shuts Down April 13, 2018
- Alberta Small Hive Beetle find means trouble for B.C. beekeepers July 29, 2017
- New honey in our Swan Valley operations in Creston! July 20, 2017
- New adventures for Honey Bee Zen Apiaries and Swan Valley Honey July 16, 2017
- Sean Clancy: Have you tried HiveAlive yet? The published data o...
- Kyle Wayne: I'm glad you mentioned how the best time to remov...
- Gary Thompson: Congratulations on another successful year in the ...
- Tom Hardern: Just found you today by accident... The name caugh...
- Jeff: They are open from early morning to dusk; they use...
Follow @honeybeezen on Twitter